Q: Advice on buying a car in 5,000 CAD range

My girlfriend has a budget of little over 5000 CAD. She's convinced she needs an O7 or newer. Is this even possible? What sort of car should we look for with this budget? We want a vehicle that's nearly problem free like a Civic.

Look for Honda Civics and Toyota Corollas. Stick to that and forget the year. Buy one that you can find with that price range that checks out to be good. Never put a year cut-off, because that limits your options for a car that has proven to be reliable.

You might find really good used cars that are a little older. Just look for a good Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic. I don’t know if they have Craigslist in Canada but I’m assuming they probably do. Just look it up and start searching your area for one. Before officially purchasing the car, you can ensure the condition of the car by having a qualified mobile technician come to the car’s location to give it a pre-purchase inspection so that any major faults are disclosed.