Q: Car moves when I don't accelerate

asked by on May 17, 2016

When I start it, the car moves even when I don't accelerate. It will drive itself up to 30mph without my having my foot on the accelerator. Do you think there's a malfunction in the cruise control and it's taking over when I drive without turning it on?

Idle Control Valve Replacement $146.15 - $920.51 Get a Quote
Engine idle speed is high Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

The cruise control is not the cause of the high idle. It is due to the throttle control actuator, or the idle control valve is stuck. You should not try and drive it until the problem is identified and fixed.

Have a mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, come to you to diagnose the high idle problem, and fix it if possible. This way you do not have to get it towed to a shop, or attempt to drive it like that.