Q: How do you read the lines on the rearview monitor?

How do you read the lines on the rearview monitor?

When you put your car in reverse and the rearview camera activates, the monitor will show you a picture of what’s behind you, overlaid with four lines of different colors. Understanding what they mean is critical to using this system and backing the car up safely.

• Red: The red line means the object is only about a foot and a half from your car.

• Yellow: The yellow line indicates that the object is about three feet from your car.

• First Green: The first green line indicates that the object is about seven feet from your car.

• Second Green: The second green line (top) indicates that the object is about 10 feet from the car.

Tips

• The lines are only a rough guide. The distance is estimated. Use caution and your own best judgement when backing up.

• Never use only the rearview monitor to back up. You still need to physically turn your head and check.

3. How do you read the lines on the rearview monitor?