Q: What can I use to stop lifters from ticking

asked by on September 16, 2017

My lifters are ticking is there anything I can use to stop the ticking.

Hi Tyhesha. Thanks for contacting us today. Usually cylinder head lifters will tick due to one of two things - either they are loose and need to be adjusted or replaced or there isn’t enough engine oil lubricating them. The best advice I give people with this issue is to first make sure your engine oil has been changed as recommended (every 5,000 miles) and that the engine oil level is to the MAX fill line. If the noise goes away after completing this step, then it was simply low on oil. If the noise does not go away, it’s a mechanical problem that can’t be resolved without significant repair unfortunately.