Q: i have a 2000 chevy blazer,4x4, 4.3L, and my gas gauge is stuck on full all the time . Sometimes if i stop, the neddle will drop d

asked by on February 19, 2018

I have a 2000 chevy blazer,4x4,4.3L. and the gas gauge is always on "full".. Some times when I stop, the gauge will go to "empty" and the back too full. It starts and runs good, but im aftraid the car will stop running and I will run out of gas, but I keep a tab on my trip odemeter on how much gas I need and when I have to get it. Do I have to replace the fuel pump in the tank, and what will this cost and how much troble its this to do ??? can this be done in my driveway?? what is the time frame on a job like this???

This is likely related to the fuel tank sending unit inside the fuel tank, which will require the fuel tank to be dropped in order to access and replace. The fuel gauge sending unit is a small float type component (or sensor) inside your fuel tank that measures the level of the fuel inside the tank. As the fuel level drops, this change is detected and relayed in the form of a signal to the car’s computer which then displays the reading on the fuel gauge in your dash. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and repair your vehicle.