Q: Malfunction indicator light stays on, remote start issue

I've recently bought this used car that was running well. However, the other day the dashboard has started showing the Malfunction Indicator Light on. It is illuminated when the car is running. Besides this, there is an issue with the remote start. What should I do?

A: Hello, thanks for writing in about your 119...

Hello, thanks for writing in about your 11998 Chrysler Aspen. If the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp), also known as the Check Engine Light, is coming on, then there is a hard fault in the engine computer. This fault will need to be read out to determine the next course of action of correcting the light. The computer will give a code that will help pinpoint any problems that need to be corrected. To have this addressed, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the Check Engine Light and make appropriate repairs.