Q: whining noise front of engine, EVAP and temperature control

asked by on March 14, 2017

These may all be unrelated, but here it goes. (1) I have a whining sound coming from the front of the engine, occurs typically when first driving car in the morning and then goes away. The pitch changes as the gears shift. Once it goes away, usually doesn't come back for the rest of the trip... expect occasionally when parking. (2) I get a "tighten gas cap" message occasionally and I do go and tighten it... although it always seems fine (I also replaced the gas cap). I did get a check engine light once and when I read it I recall it mentioning there was a leak with the EVAP? (3) the driver side temperature control when set the same as the passenger side, switches to cold air about 15 minutes into driving the car. Passenger side continues to blow warm air. Related? Probably not, but...

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $94.99 - $114.99 Get a Quote

Hello, thank you for writing in. The first two symptoms may be related. Finding a leak in the EVAP system will take some time and focus. If the noise goes away after fixing the leak, then we know we can skip locating the noise for now. Start will a full visual inspection of the gas tank, EVAP canister, fuel lines, and EVAP lines. Any loose hoses or lines, breaks or cracks to the tank or canister, or any other similar damages will cause the leak code to trigger. Check the purge valve as well for signs of damages. Take corrective action from there. If the noise you were hearing was the leak, then you can move onto the climate control system. There is likely an issue with the cabin temperature sensors, or the programming for the system. For more help with these tests, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr