Do wranglers normally shift at high RPM when accelerating...

Q: Do wranglers normally shift at high RPM when accelerating fast on first gear?

asked by on July 06, 2017

Is it normal for jeep wranglers when I accelerate fast from 1st or 2nd gear that it doesn't shift until 4,500-5,500 RPM?

Hi There, If this is something that generally only happens when the vehicle is still cold, this may be normal. Many newer automatic transmissions have temperature-sensors in them that, on a stone-cold start, restrict normal shift to only the lower (or non-overdrive gears) until the engine coolant and transmission fluid reach a certain level which in many engines, is around 140 degrees. At that point, engineers generally consider an engine or transmission fully warm for fluid-circulation and engine-stress purposes (this is usually at the lower end of the normal range on an analog temperature-gauge, or when the blue cold-engine light goes off). In some cases, this temperature sensor may fail resulting in delayed shifting or erratic shifting. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.