Q: My car stutter starts, but only after driving it for a few minutes.

MY car was siting in my garage for 8 years without being started. When i decide to start driving the car i had to replace the fuel pump because the car wouldn't start.After replacing the fuel pump the car started. One week later the car started stutter starting. A check was done on the fuel pump and it was at 50psi instead of 60psi. I hesitate to replace the fuel pump because the car starts up fine in the morning but stutter start after driving it a while. Could it be something else causing the stutter starting that is having an effect on the fuel pump pressure?

Hey there. This may also be caused by what is called the fuel pressure regulator. This is a unit that helps to maintain the fuel pressure at the proper level. When this is not working properly, the fuel pump may be pumping properly, but the fuel may not arrive at the fuel injectors at the proper psi. When this happens, this can cause a lean fuel condition which may cause the car to hesitate, misfire, or stall. If you would like to have an expert pinpoint the issue, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the hard start problem and confirm which repairs are needed.