Q: Water pump

Why does a water pump need to be replaced at only 35.000 mileage on a 2013 Toyota Rav4 xle awd. This seems weird. I've owned other cars, including a 2006 and 2005 Scion XB and don't remember replacing the water pump, both have 240,000 mileage. Did I buy a lemon 2013 RAV4? it's Toyota certified pre-owned. It just seems weird that a water pump would need to be replaced at only 35k. it was a previous personal lease vehicle. Please advise. I'm a little worried now that this car may break down on me down the road. I commute 120 miles each weekday. Thanks for your input.

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in. Usually a ...

Hi there, thanks for writing in. Usually a stock water pump on a Toyota RAV4 should last much longer than 35,000 miles. However, there are times when the water pump can fail prematurely for multiple reasons. Since you have a Toyota certified pre-owned vehicle, you might want to check with them to see if this is under warranty. However, if you're having overheating issues, the water pump may not be the cause. I'd recommend you get a second opinion before buying any parts or having anyone replace the water pump. One of our local ASE certified mechanics can complete a car is overheating inspection which will pinpoint the source of your issues.