Q: Fuel consumption issues after crankshaft position sensor reset

The dealership relearned the CKP after I took my 2009 Honda Accord in b/c of the malfunction and VSA lights coming on. It was running roughly and wouldn't accelerate properly when I pushed the accelerator. The next time I turned the car on, both lights came on again. The 2nd time I started it only the malfunction light came on. The 3rd time both lights didn't turn on. Yesterday I took a 110 mile trip and noticed that after 116 miles on a full tank of gas that I am almost at empty. I usually get over 375 miles / tank. Is this all related? Could it be that just the fuel gauge is off? I've never had any of these problems before and the technician told me he didn't know what caused the error message in the first place.

Hello. If your lights are coming on and off then there may still be an issue somewhere with the vehicle. If there was a recent reset due to an issue with the crank position sensor it may be possible that the issue has returned or is still affecting the vehicle. The crankshaft position sensor plays an important role in the engine management system’s calculations, and a problem with it can cause all sorts of issues, including a decrease in mpg. If the light returns I would have the vehicle scanned for trouble codes to determine if that may indeed be the issue. Similar symptoms can also be caused by many other things, such as a problems with the fuel, ignition, or elsewhere in the engine management system, perhaps related to wiring. I would start by checking the crank position sensor as there was a previous issue with it that set off a warning light. As the possibilities could vary widely, if you are unsure, I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, visit your location to determine if the crankshaft position needs to be replaced.

3. Fuel consumption issues after crankshaft position sensor reset