Q: Are the motor mounts touched during a tune up? When are the motor mounts touched?

We recently took our PT Cruiser in for a tune-up. Then 2 weeks later something happened to the motor mounts and the engine came loose and destroyed the axle and damaged the transmission. I'm curious if the motor mounts are even touched during a tune up. Are they removed to make more room during the tune-up? They told us that the motor mounts failed and they don't know why and that when that happened the loos motor mounts destroyed the axle but a friend tells me that the motor mounts being loose would damage the axle (the opposite of what the mechanic is telling us). I also feel that when they did the tune up they didn't put thing back properly and that is what created the damage to our car.

There is nothing in a basic tune up that would require loosening or touching the motor mounts. If the motor mounts are in fact loose, they could potentially cause damage to the axles if the motor were to shift enough while driving; however, this would take time and there would have been a very distinct vibration and clunk that you would have very likely noticed while driving. I would recommend having a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come take a look at the car to properly diagnose and repair your motor mount problem.

3. Are the motor mounts touched during a tune up? When are the motor mounts touched?