Q: Will low differential fluid in my buick rainier cause jerking when turning vehicle?

asked by on March 06, 2017

Vehicle is jerking when turning backing up or making a turn driving forward. Read that it is most likely the differential fluid being low or needing changed. Not sure when last change was. I've put 20,000 miles on vehicle without changing the diff fluid.

Hello, thank you for writing in. The rear differential will make the vehicle skip or turn roughly when backing up or in a forward gear. It will feel as if the 4 wheel drive is active, and cause issues with steering. The power steering fluid should also be checked to make sure it is full and in good condition. Low power steering fluid, or a failing pump will cause the same symptoms. You will want to look further into both of these systems depending on what is found while servicing the differential. For more help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.