Q: Check engine light still on after cleaning mass airflow sensor

My car has 129,000 miles. A auto shop told me that one of the check-engine codes was for the mass airflow sensor. He told me that replacing the sensor was an option or another avenue was to first try cleaning it to see if the check engine light stayed on after cleaning. I decided on the cleaning option, to save money. However, the check engine light came back on after the cleaning. I don’t have much experience with cars, but I thought I might try cleaning it again before having him replace the sensor. Is your advice that I could try cleaning it myself or go ahead and have it replaced?

First check to see what codes are being set which cause the Check Engine light to illuminate. This problem may or may not be caused by the mass airflow sensor. If it is the MAF, and cleaning it was unsatisfactory, it will be need to be replaced. There are many possible causes for the Check Engine Light to come on besides the mass airflow sensor, so have an expert read the codes and address the Check Engine Light accordingly.