Q: Speedometer/odometer quit working.

asked by on February 12, 2017

My speedometer/odometer quit working on my 01' Kia sephia completely. It doesn't move at all, no matter what speed your going. This problem started either a couple days before or after something on the car caught fire, my husband thought it was the front/first O2 sensor, and we ended up putting out the fire with grape soda (didn't have any water at all) What could I try checking/cleaning/replacing on my car to get my speedometer working again?

The speedometer is electronically controlled. Typically, there is a mini stepper (positioning) motor mounted on the instrument cluster PCB and it receives a signal from a speed sensor within the transmission. A wiring harness interconnects these components. The speed sensor can be tested using an automotive scope, the wiring (including any fuse in the circuit) can be tested and if no fault is found in those segments then the instrument cluster has to be removed to test the stepper motor. Your best bet is to test the wire harness, fuse, and sensor first as they are most accessible. If you want these steps performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a speedometer diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.