Q: Brakes making grinding noise.

My barkes are making a grinding noise. It is only the grinding noise, otherwise they work fine.

The brakes grinding could be an indication they are metal to metal. If the pads are worn out then they are digging into the rotors. In some vehicles with some styles of pads could make an intermittent grinding noise from the materials that are built into the pads. The only way to be sure is to do a complete brake inspection. I would recommend having a mechanic like the certified ones at YourMechanic come and check it out for you to see what is causing the problem.