I have a 06 Hyundai Sonata. It only starts in neutral. Ca...

Q: I have a 06 Hyundai Sonata. It only starts in neutral. Can you tell me why it only starts in neutral

asked by on March 08, 2018

The car only starts in neutral. Can you tell me why

A possibility is the neutral start safety switch is defective. Car designers place that switch in the starting circuit to prevent the car from being started while the car is in gear. Starts in Park or Neutral are the only allowed mode. If the switch contacts are "open" (versus "closed") when the gear shift is in Park, the starter motor won’t function. There are other possibilities but the foregoing would be checked out first. If you desire the required diagnostic to test the switch, as well as a repair or replacement as needed, please schedule via YourMechanic’s neutral start safety switch service request page. If the switch is not the fault, the mechanic will move along the relevant diagnostic decision tree (as published in the Factory Service Manual) and find the issue causing the failure to start in Park. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.