Q: Burnt rubber smell then couldn't accelerate or turn wheel & belt broke off

asked by on June 30, 2017

Burned rubber smell, mainly when idling, not as much when accelerating, then heard a thug noise like something fell and the battery light came on and had no power steering. Checked under the hood and serpentine belt is gone. I don't know if the problem is simply that the belt broke over time, or something else caused it. I do have cv joint needs replacing, so I don't know if that fell off and that's what I heard fall off.

If the serpentine belt is original, that is has 125,000 miles on it, it may have just worn out and broke. However, there is always a possibility that one of the "rotating elements" (pulleys, a/c compressor, alternator, etc.) had a bearing seize and that failure caused the belt to snap. If you request serpentine belt inspection/replacement, the responding certified mechanic will inspect all driven components in the belt circuit before replacing the belt to ensure that you do not have a repeat of this incident. With regard to replacement of the CV joint and axle, you can request that service by using YourMechanic’s CV axle replacement service page. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.