Q: Engine ticking and smoking.

The engine is making a ticking noise and I can smell exhaust or the smell of gasoline inside the car. You can also see a little bit of smoke coming from the engine.

It is possible that the ticking sound you are hearing could be an exhaust manifold leak. This would also explain the gas type smell inside the car. An engine this age may have some oil leaks as well which could cause a little bit of smoke to come from the engine if it is getting onto a hot exhaust part. I would ask for help from an experienced mechanic to check these issues over for you and make the necessary repairs.

3. Engine ticking and smoking.