Q: My car won't shift gears and revs really high.

Hello guys, Back in August 2016, I got an oil change on my car and the guy said I needed a transmission flush. The cost was $250 so I waited until I had money to do so. I never did until Saturday January 21, 2017. I turned my car on and my battery was dead. I called triple A and they replaced my battery. Once I was able to take off in my car, I accelerated and my cars rpm went really high and my car made a weird noise and noticed I wasn't shifting any gears. It was just one long noise. My bf told me it was definitely my transmission so I went to valvoline and got the transmission flush and oil change. I thought it would solve my problem but it's been 3 days and I've been driving my car and the problem is still there. I'm told it's time for a new transmission which for my car is expensive and also told to try trans fix Lucas. Any suggestions on if it's the actual transmission needing replacement? Or could it be another problem? Anything will help! Thanks in advance!

Hi There, Although it may be tough to say for certain without inspecting the transmission in your car, this may be potentially less than replacing the entire transmission. This may be a faulty transmission control solenoid. As you know, automatic transmissions use pressurized hydraulic fluid to change gears. Every time a gear change is required, the car’s computer activates a transmission solenoid, which directs transmission fluid into the valve body to engage the correct gear. When this is faulty or not working properly, this can cause a delay in gear shifting or in some cases cause the car to not shift at all. This type of problem is amplified any time the transmission is low on fluid creating a drop in hydraulic pressure. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

This may also suggest a failing speed sensor. The transmission speed sensor is a magnetic sensor that provides this information, allowing the transmission to shift smoothly. The sensor counts the internal number of revolutions of the transmission and transmits that information to the transmission control unit, where the data is used to determine the rotational speed. As the rotation increases, the control unit directs the changing of gears. When this is not working properly, this may cause the transmission to shift erratically or in some cases not at all. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to take the car for a test drive to more specifically determine the cause for this.

3. My car won't shift gears and revs really high.