Q: I think I blew the motor, I went through a deep puddle if water.

asked by on February 18, 2017

So yesterday it was raining really hard, I drove through a huge puddle of water. I thought I could go through it because there was a car going through it in front if me. When I was in the mist of it all I realized just how deep it was. Well after I drove out of it my car shook a lot and the engine light went on. I turned the car off and tried to restart it but it turned off. I thought it was a bit of water so I pushed it and parked it. This morning I checked and there's water in the air filter. It won't start and I jacked it and noticed oil spilling out. There's a huge hole in the bottom. I think my engines done, but I'm not completely sure. What can I do, should I take it to a mechanic or just replace the motor?

Oil/Fluid Leak Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. If you see a hole in the bottom of the engine and oil is coming out and the engine will not crank over, then your vehicle has thrown a rod due to hydro locking a cylinder. The engine will need to be replaced. I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you diagnose the engine and help you replace the engine.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr