Q: RPM fluctuating when the car is in third gear during acceleration

asked by on May 24, 2016

My car has gone around 130,000 miles. The RPM seems to be fluctuating when the car is in third gear and I give it gas. It increases, then drops down and again increases and yet again loses power. Is this a transmission issue? What should I do? Thanks.

Gears slipping when accelerating Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

It sounds like your transmission is either slipping in third gear or having trouble shifting to fourth gear. I would recommend having this issue diagnosed by a certified transmission mechanic, as soon as possible, as this could potentially cause internal transmission damage. This issue may be repaired by replacing a shift solenoid, replacing the transmission fluid, or performing a complete transmission overhaul. With that in mind, it is important to have this issue diagnosed correctly to avoid wasted time and money. A certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic will diagnose and inspect why your transmission is slipping in third gear, when accelerating.