Q: Battery and/or Alternator issues

asked by on July 11, 2016

Hello, I recently been dealing with battery and alternator issues. I bought a battery back in January. A month ago I woke up with my car completely dead, I got the battery replaced. A week ago I woke up with the same issue. So I took my car to autozone and a local mechanic they both said it was my alternator. So I got it replaced. The next day I woke up with the same issue, so I took it back to the mechanic, so he tested my battery, it read as good, but the meter also said "recharchable" so the mechanic said the alternator could have damaged the battery. So I took it to autozone to get it replaced on my warranty so they said it couldn't be replaced free. So I jumped it off and it worked fine, so I figured maybe the battery just needed charging. But I woke up this morning with it dead, I'm taking it to autozone in the morning to get it replaced hopefully it reads as a bad battery. Am I getting the run around, or could my battery just be messed up from the alternator?

Car is not starting Inspection $94.99 - $114.99 Get a Quote

You should start by having the starting and charging system thoroughly tested to ensure both systems are working properly. It sounds like you have a large parasitic drain, which means something is drawing power from the battery when the car is parked overnight. Start by checking all your interior lights, including the trunk and glove compartment light to make sure they turn on and off as they should. If there are no obvious causes of the drain, then I would have a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, check the car for parasitic battery drains to diagnose the no start issue.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr