Changed battery now won't start rendezvous v6-3.4l 2002 i...

Q: Changed battery now won't start

asked by on May 02, 2017

Hi there. I have a 2002 Buick rendezvous. I changed out battery today and now it won't start. All lights come on, but won't crank. Idk if it's the passkeylll or something else. I checked any fuse that may cause it.

If prior to changing the battery you had no problems, obviously the immobilizer system is a suspect. Confirm that the engine immobilizer system (security system) is not activated thus preventing the car from starting. If the immobilizer system is on, you may see a security warning light. If the warning light is on, to temporarily override the immobilizer system, see these instructions.

New batteries are not necessarily fully charged so check battery voltage. Check to see if there are any stored diagnostic trouble codes. If you have checked the battery, there are no codes, and the immobilizer system is off, the procedure is to test for power and voltage drops to the starter motor/solenoid. If there is no power, or a large voltage drop is measured, then the electrical circuit supplying the starter motor has a fault. The circuit that will have to be tested begins at the battery and includes grounds, wiring (some of which is very heavy cabling), fuses, relays, the ignition switch, neutral start switch, and terminations. Basically, with a fully charged battery, and with the key held in the "start" position, the starter is either getting power or it isn’t. With the key in the "start" position, if the starter motor is getting power but the starter doesn’t work, then the starter is condemned and replaced. Note that starters can and sometimes do develop intermittent faults due to bad spots on the armature. If you want the foregoing diagnostic steps performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a no start diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you.