Q: Rear axle housing oil leak - 2004 Dodge Ram 1500

Not a serious one I don't think but a big blob of oil is definitely on the housing. Is this something I should worry about?

Hello - there are several possible sources of the gearlube leak in the rear end housing: the pinion shaft seal, the large diameter area where the differential carrier is bolted to the rear axle housing, or the rear axle vent tube. (This assumes the housing itself is not cracked.) There are several ways to find the leak as well. I would recommend a thorough inspection of the rear axle for this leak by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Rear axle housing oil leak - 2004 Dodge Ram 1500