Q: Finding a rear axle leak on a 2000 Dodge

asked by on June 07, 2016

2000 Dodge V8 4x4. I've noticed a leak under the rear axle case. Could that be a bad gasket or is there something gone wrong?

Oil/Fluid Leak Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Normally it is either the gasket that is leaking at the back or the seal is leaking on the front pinion shaft where the drive shaft goes in and spins around. If you really want to find out what it is without guessing, I’ve got a video that’s called "finding and fixing car oil leaks" and what you do is buy some of the UV leak dye, put it in the read end and drive around for a day. Then after a day, look at it with yellow sunglasses and a little UV light kit. Those kits are as cheap as 30 dollars. You will see where the green dye glows and you’ll know which one has a leak. If you don’t have this equipment or want someone to take care of this for you, have a certified technician detect the leak and make the correct repair.