Q: ABS light, 2002 Toyota 4 Runner

When driving, there is a pulsating, hissing noise coming from underneath the steering column. After a while the ABS, E-brake, VSC and Trac lights come on, accompanied by a loud beeping noise. This last for a minute or so before the lights go off, and both the beeping and hissing noise stop. It has done this twice in the last two days. I had the brake rotors and pads replaced, but I'm guessing this is more of an electrical or ABS issue.

Hi there. What you may be experiencing is a failing one way air valve or internal fault of the brake booster. The hissing is the result of the failed internal diaphragm while the pulsating may be caused by fluttering of the one way air valve. The lights illuminate due to the ABS computer seeing the brake demand from the pedal and low pressure from the master cylinder. This is a serious concern as the brake system could fail without warning. I strongly suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection as soon as possible to determine the exact failure. YourMechanic has several technicians available that can assist you with a hissing noise while braking inspection and provide an estimate and direction of repair.