Q: Does the car make clatter noises before the serpentine belt breaks?

My CTS was running just fine then suddenly it started making clattering noises . Like maybe a pulley was failing within maybe 3 more start ups the belt snapped while driving . Do you think it's just the belt that needs replaced or does it sound like a bad pulley?

Hi there:

When a serpentine belt is about to break, it can make many different types of sounds and produce multiple warning signs or symptoms. However, it’s recommended to replace the pulley’s and the belt at the same time, as when one breaks, it’s very common for the others to break or wear out around the same time. If you’re looking for a mobile mechanic to complete this service, feel free to contact our team to complete your serpentine belt replacement.