Q: Cruise control works only randomly

When activating the cruise control in our car, it will work for about 20-50 seconds and then stops by itself. It won’t work again until the car is turned on and restarted. Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn’t - a random thing. What is the problem and what will solve this?

A: Hi there. Most of the time this is cause by...

Hi there. Most of the time this is cause by a failing brake switch. The switch fails and makes the computer think that you are applying the brakes, which automatically turns the cruise off. This should be checked first. If it is fine then the computer needs to be scanned to see if there is anything else going on. If there are no codes, then it is more than likely the brake switch. If you want to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the cruise control problem.