Q: Why does my car sputter when restarting after driving for a while?

The car appears to flatter and despite my stepping on the gas hesitates for a few seconds then idles normal

A: Hello. From what you describe it sounds li...

Hello. From what you describe it sounds like your vehicle may be stuttering and hesitating when you first start the vehicle. This can be caused by many things. A few common causes are issues with the ignition, engine management, or fuel systems. If the car has not had a tune up in a significant amount of time it may be possible that some of the components are worn or dirty and need to be changed. A common cause for difficult starting is a dirty fuel filter. As its name implies, the fuel filter filters out particles from the fuel, preventing them from entering the fuel system and harming or clogging up the components.

A dirty fuel, or even air filter, can cause all sorts of issues, including hard starting, if they get clogged and prevent fuel or air from reaching the engine properly. Issues with other fuel system components, or components of the ignition and engine management systems can also cause similar symptoms. I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to determine what the cause of the hard starting could be.