Q: I have a 2004 Dodge Ram quad cab with a 5.7 liter 8 cylinder engine. When I put truck in 4 wheel drive and move I hear a clucking.

When I engage in 4 wheel drive I hear a clicking noise coming from the front wheels so I put the truck back into neutral and put the gear back into two wheel drive and then put it in drive and the sound goes away!!!! I have 4h N 2h 4L

Hi there. The noise that you are hearing could be either the front axle engagement solenoid or the gear lash on the pinion and ring gear on the front axle could be too much. Check to see if the front axle engagement solenoid is making the noise. If it is, then the solenoid may be broken or loose. If the solenoid is working good, then you will have to check the gear lash on the front differential with a dial indicator and the front cover off with the fluid drained. If you need further assistance with the clunking noise when you put your truck in 4WD, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. I have a 2004 Dodge Ram quad cab with a 5.7 liter 8 cylinder engine. When I put truck in 4 wheel drive and move I hear a clucking.