Q: Replaced Camshaft Position Sensor, now car idles rough, quits.

asked by on November 16, 2016

This past weekend, replaced the camshaft position sensor on my daughters vehicle. Was running fine Sunday and Monday. Tuesday, rough idle, no pick up upon acceleration. Wednesday, no pickup upon acceleration and stalled 2 times at stop light. Not sure what is happening.

Car idle is rough Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. Why was the cam position sensor replaced? Was there a code stored, check engine light on? If the rough idle and stall started after the sensor replacement, try putting the old sensor back in and recheck the operation. If the car still has the concern, then the cam position sensor may not be at fault and this is simply an unfortunate coincidence. Is the check engine light currently on? Check for any codes, stored or pending, and proceed from there. The idle air control valve could be sticking or failing. Attempt to clean the valve with a suitable cleaner and see if the operation improves. If it does not improve, it still may be the idle air control valve is beyond maintenance and will need to be replaced. The safest route to take is to have a qualified technician perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a rough idle inspection.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr