Q: Clutch chattering when car is hot

We replaced the clutch about 20k ago with an OEM part. The clutch is quite stiff and when the car is hot, the clutch will chatter when releasing it in first gear. For example, if I am at a stop light after getting off the freeway, when I go to accelerate, I start to release the clutch while at 2500 rpm. As the clutch starts to bite there is an event that I can only relate to wheel hop. But the tires are not losing traction. Shifting into second is fine.

A: Hi there. Replacing the clutch only 20,000 ...

Hi there. Replacing the clutch only 20,000 miles ago, there shouldn’t be issues already. Assuming, proper procedure was followed at the time of clutch replacement, ie; the flywheel was surfaced, the throw-out bearing sleeve properly lubricated, pressure plate bolts evenly tightened and torqued to specification, would lead me to believe the pressure plate and/or clutch disc damper springs may be faulty. The clutch should not be stiff, disengaging and engaging. Clutch chatter is typically, the result of an uneven surface, uneven pressure applied, and/or loose disc damper springs. A glazed flywheel and/or pressure plate surface (the result of excessive heat) could also create a chatter. Another possibility for clutch chatter, broken or sagging engine or transmission mounts. I recommend having your vehicle’s clutch chatters hot be diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.