Q: I have air pockets in my cooling system how do I get them out

asked by on December 03, 2016

The other day I drain my antifreeze change the thermostat and now I have air in my cooling system lines what is the best way to get the air bubbles out I have tried everything and still is not working

The cooling system does not need any special procedures to get the air out of the system except to have the heater to on and warm setting. This will allow the coolant to flow through the heater core and out to purge all the air out. You should start by filling the system and then start and let it run at idle until the thermostat opens. Once the thermostat opens then coolant level will go down and need topping off. Once the system is topped up then install cap and accelerate the engine up to 2000 rpm for 30 seconds and let it idle. Do this a few times then let idle and shut off engine to let engine cool and then top off coolant. The system may need to be checked each morning to bring the level to the cold fill line before starting. This should get all the air out of the system.