Q: What factors affect radio reception?

What factors affect radio reception?

A: While your car’s audio system is pretty adv...

While your car’s audio system is pretty advanced, there are several different factors that can affect reception when you’re listening to the AM or FM band. Here’s what you should know:

• Station Interference: If you pass close to a broadcast tower, it’s possible that the signal will be so strong that it overrides the station you’re listening to. This will improve/disappear as you travel past it.

• Strength: Perhaps the single most common thing that affects radio reception is signal strength. The weaker or more distance a broadcast signal is, the poorer the reception will be.

• Obstacles: While they don’t affect AM and FM the way they can satellite radio, physical geographic features can cause reception problems. Mountains, hills, tunnels and the like can also reduce reception.