Q: Oil on bottom of catalytic converter

I have had an oil leak for about 5-6 months now. There is a large thick plastic covering where the axel joins the tire suspension (ball joints, cv etc). The plastic covering broke loose and was dragging. That's not so much my concern as the fact that when I checked under the car and noticed some oil only on the bottom of the front part of the catalytic converter. It didn't look like it leaked down, honestly it looked like it had splashed up onto it or leaked out from right at that spot. I need to take it to a mechanic but I need to know if it's ok to drive for a few days as I work 2 jobs. I'm afraid of it catching on fire while driving.

A: Hi there. I completely understand about tim...

Hi there. I completely understand about time constraints and your concern about a potential fire hazard. Many people continue to drive their vehicles even if there is oil on the exhaust components as they usually smolder and smoke. However, the potential for a fire hazard is alive and well with this condition. Your Mechanic has technicians that come to your home or work; we care about your time and make this as convenient as possible. Our technicians have the certifications and experience without the cost of dealerships and other shops, but with the convenience that we come to you. Your Mechanic has several technicians available that can assist you with a car is leaking oil inspection.