Q: Q: It will not turn over and start

Recently brought used, the car was running the battery check light was on, and I left it running while I ran inside to get something..when I came out it had died, and now it won't start

Because you left the car running but it died anyways, this tells me that this is not the battery at fault. The most likely culprit is the alternator. Many people are not aware, but testing an alternator is really easy. While the car is running, disconnect the negative terminal to the battery. If the car stays running, the alternator is fine. That being said, I have had the battery light come on when an alternator belt breaks. Verify you have a belt. If you do, see if you can jump start the vehicle. If it jump starts and runs, test the alternator with the method I just outlined. I suspect the vehicle will die when you do this test.

As a last resort to testing on you own, remove the battery and the alternator and have them both tested individually by a local expert. If you need help with this, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the starting problem and perform the proper repairs.

3. Q: It will not turn over and start