Q: Whats a Car's Muffler Do?

Whats a car's muffler do?

The purpose of a car’s muffler is to quieten the sound of the exhaust after the combustion process. A muffler’s ability to quiet the engine noise relies on several tubes that are located inside the muffler itself. These tubes have been designed to reduce or eliminate the sound that flows through them from the exhaust. The downside is that conventional mufflers like these create back pressure - and engine power may be reduced as a result.

Other types of mufflers that do not create as much back pressure are glass pack mufflers and cherry bomb mufflers. Drivers who prefer engine power may opt to install one of these mufflers. While glass pack mufflers and cherry bomb mufflers do not create as much back pressure, they are not capable of reducing the same amount of sound that conventional mufflers do.

3. Whats a Car's Muffler Do?