Q: We are replacing rhe water pump and the special tool is not working it just keeps slipping the water pump is very rusty need help

The water pump is very rusty and the special tool that i have rented is slipping i have remove the water pump belt and hoses and air breather box

The replacement of the water pump on your vehicle is more complex than the average vehicle and does require a special GM tool (J 38816-A Water Pump Remover & Installer), therefore if you desire you can request that a certified Mechanic perform the water pump replacement. In abbreviated form, these are the steps that the Mechanic would perform to remove the pump: 1) remove the upper filler panel; 2) remove the air cleaner assembly; 3) remove the secondary AIR injection control valve; 4) remove the oil level indicator tube nut; 5) remove the water pump belt shield fasteners; 6) remove the water pump belt shield; 7) remove the water pump drive belt; 8) remove the radiator outlet hose from the thermostat housing; 9) remove the water pump cover bolts; 10) remove the water pump cover; 11) disconnect the heater return hose; 12) position the J 38816-A to the water pump locking ears; 13) fasten the support plate to the water housing crossover, to ensure that the tool is engaged on the water pump locking ears; 14) using the J 38816-A, turn the pump clockwise in order to remove the pump from the housing; 15) remove the support plate from the water housing crossover; 16) remove the water pump from the vehicle; and finally 17) remove the seal from the water crossover.

3. We are replacing rhe water pump and the special tool is not working it just keeps slipping the water pump is very rusty need help