Exception in rendering!

Message: window is not defined

ReferenceError: window is not defined
    at new c (/tmp/execjs20161208-80463-crnpsqjs:136:3912)
    at m.mountComponent (/tmp/execjs20161208-80463-crnpsqjs:47:15602)
    at /tmp/execjs20161208-80463-crnpsqjs:49:31860
    at a.r.perform (/tmp/execjs20161208-80463-crnpsqjs:47:12503)
    at Object.a [as renderToString] (/tmp/execjs20161208-80463-crnpsqjs:49:31821)
    at r (/tmp/execjs20161208-80463-crnpsqjs:50:21164)
    at Object.S.ReactOnRails.serverRenderReactComponent (/tmp/execjs20161208-80463-crnpsqjs:32:6073)
    at eval (eval at <anonymous> (/tmp/execjs20161208-80463-crnpsqjs:173:8), <anonymous>:10:23)
    at eval (eval at <anonymous> (/tmp/execjs20161208-80463-crnpsqjs:173:8), <anonymous>:17:3)
    at /tmp/execjs20161208-80463-crnpsqjs:173:8

Q: My truck has a knocking noise from a bad lifter

In the past week or so truck (82,000 miles) developed a knocking noise (that I think is associated with a bad lifter). I had a mechanic listen and he confirmed that's likely what it is. Could I run synthetic oil to help the issue? It does seem to be louder when it's cold, and even then I can't hear it in the cab while I'm driving. I might do an oil change with a bottle of seafoam and see if it helps. I may end up taking it in either way, but I wanted to know if you had any advice.

A: A bad lifter will not make a knocking noise...

A bad lifter will not make a knocking noise. It will make a tapping noise. I would recommend having a qualified mechanic listen to the noise to see if it is a lifter noise, a piston rod, or main bearing noise.

I suggest running synthetic oil either way and sticking to the recommended oil weights. Once the noise is located then a repair attempt can be made. If it is a lifter sticking then you can try the engine flush before the next oil change to see if it helps. Feel free to reach out to a qualified mechanic to help you with these checks, they will be able to properly pinpoint and fix the noise you're hearing.