Q: Why is something in the hood of my car ticking?

Recently got the car taken in for a check up and oil change, we are now on the road for a 800 mile trip from Chicago to Tuskegee and the oil light came on. Checked the Manual and it said that meant there was low oil so we added a half a quart. Got back on the road light came back on, added the other half of court. Then the car began making a ticking noise. We let it rest and the ticking noise settled.. But what could it be? Why? And what do we do if it turns back on?

A: You need to check the oil level to see how ...

You need to check the oil level to see how low you are on oil. You may not have added enough oil. If you are not sure then go to a full service station or have a technician, like one from YourMechanic check it for you. Do not drive the vehicle with the motor ticking or you will cause damage to the engine. I’d also suggest looking under the car to see if you see oil leaking somewhere also.

If you need some help with this, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can come to you and help you diagnose the cause of the oil light firsthand.