Q: Transmission "popping" out of gear

asked by on November 21, 2016

Driving ok for the most part, but occasionally 2nd gear will make a popING noise and shift into neutral on its on.

Grinding sound from transmission Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

This may suggest failing transmission synchros. As you may know, when a clutch drags, it is not letting go of the disk fully which overloads the synchros and burns up the friction surfaces quickly. Synchros work by speeding up or slowing down the input shaft and clutch disk by acting like a brake. If the clutch is dragging, the synchro friction surface is trying to speed up and slow down the engine’s mass, which is impossible. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your transmission.