Q: What does the tire pressure monitoring system do?

asked by on December 15, 2015

What does the tire pressure monitoring system do?

Your Honda Accord is equipped with a range of sensors designed to make driving safer and more convenient. One of those is the tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS). The TPMS does just one thing – it monitors the air pressure in your tires. If one of them experiences a loss of pressure, the system lights up the Low Tire Pressure light in the dash (it looks like a little tire with an exclamation point inside it).

If the Low Tire Pressure light comes on, inspect your tires if at all possible. If you cannot pull over, and do not feel a flat tire, drive as short way to a safe point and then inspect your tires. Install the spare if necessary and have the flat repaired or the tire replaced.

The Low Tire Pressure light will come on if one of your tires drops below the right pressure, but it can also come on if there’s a problem with the sensor in the wheel, or if the sensor was damaged (often done during tire installation).