Q: Check Engine light on; engine revs and has reduced power

My car is showing the following symptoms: the Check Engine light is on, the engine has reduced power, there is a smell of gas, the engine revs, and there is a prolonged changing of gears.

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Your 2003 Envoy seems to have quite the variety of symptoms, and these could indicate a variety of problems. The smell of gas may be due to a fuel leak or may be an issue with the EVAP system. Or that smell could be a symptom of the root problem that caused the Envoy’s engine to have both reduced power and an illuminated Check Engine light. The first step to determining what is going on with your GMC would be to diagnose the Check Engine light. This should point us in the right direction, toward what is really going on with your vehicle. With this sort of diagnosis, I highly recommend enlisting the assistance of a certified mechanic who can make sure your Envoy is safe for you to operate and enjoy.