Q: Red Generator light and squeal at start. After stop, won't restart.

asked by on November 23, 2016

Dash red generator light comes on after start and short squeal. After short drive all trouble lights go on. After turned off, will not restart. Was told it is voltage regulator on alternator.

Warning Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Before condemning the alternator, have the drive belt checked to see if it is loose from a stretched belt or worn belt tensioner. If the belt is loose and slipping on the alternator, the alternator will not be able to function properly. A malfunctioning charging system puts a large load on the vehicles battery so the battery must be tested as well. If the alternator is replaced, the battery must be fully charged or replaced before starting the vehicle. Consider hiring an experienced technician like one from YourMechanic who can come out and take a closer look at your charging system concerns for a more personal diagnosis.