Q: How to know if the alternator is bad

Car won't start consistently, but will start after jumps SOMETIMES.
But then, once it's jump started, driven a short distance, then tried to restart, it is dead.

In order to know if the alternator is bad it will need to be tested using a volt and amp meter. Also the engine will need to be scanned to see if the computer is controlling the alternator charge output. I would recommend having a mechanic like one from YourMechanic come and test voltage and amperage output of the alternator to see if it stop charging or there is a computer and wiring problem.

3. How to know if the alternator is bad