Leak in windshield caused electrical failure electrical s...

Q: Leak in windshield caused electrical failure

asked by on September 26, 2016

Water flowed down the pillar and into the electronics of my car because of a leak in the windshield. It was supposed to be a factory-installed, blemish-free windshield. Because of this leak, my car was quickly disabled because of electrical failure. Just before I quickly removed the battery cable, smoke billowed out from the engine. I had it towed by flatbed truck to a Volvo dealership. The technician found the problem and commented that this is often a problem with Volvos. He said it was due to the sealant/primer that might separate causing a leak. They did a full inspection. Now that this car has an electrical history, I do not trust it. I have done further research and confirmed what the tech told me. Before I have them replace and repair the parts, do you have any advice or alternative solutions?

At this point, make sure you have careful documentation of your experiences with the car, dates, names and all paperwork from dealer repairs, etc. Check work done at the dealer if at all possible when the car is returned to you so that any residual problems are caught before you take the car back. Stay in touch while the dealer has your car so that it is repaired promptly. Since there is no Recall or Service bulletin for this work, it may not be a revenue-generating piece of work for the dealer, and so it will not be a priority. In the worst case, make yourself familiar with "Lemon Law" criteria in your state, should that path be necessary.