Q: After tire rotation thumping noise developed - 2006 Chevrolet Avalanche 2500 Automatic

When I purchased my truck, it had Firestone Wilderness LE tires. I went to have my tires rotated at the dealership and after the rotation I was driving around 40-50 mph when I started hearing thumping sounds. I turned around and went back to the dealer and they repaired the failure. However, they never told me what had happened to cause the thumping sound.

The invoice said that the tire wear was caused by the alignment and it also stated that the negative camber was very close to the outer limit (which would still cause wear on the tires). The thumping noise returned a month later and is still occurring today. I returned to the dealership and they replaced one of the tires that was worn, but that did not help at all. The thumping noise still persists. Again, they replaced yet another tire, but that still didn’t help. What can I do to have this thumping noise removed?

The "thumping" sound you mention seems more like the torque convertor lock-up clutch in the transmission failing. It tries to lock up, can’t recycles, etc. GM has a service bulletin on this problem - TSB Reference #3438A. Discuss this with your Chevrolet dealer. Camber wear will indeed cause abnormal tire wear. The only solution is to have an alignment done to specs for your truck.

• After tire rotation thumping noise developed - 2006 Chevrolet Avalanche 2500 Automatic