Q: Fuel gauge stopped working - 1972 Pontiac Grand LeMans

The fuel gauge has stopped working. I keep running out of gas because of this. I tried to fix it by replacing the sending unit in the tank. The unit has prongs on the top and the bottom, as well as two on the back. I was wondering whether there are any wires that connect to the prongs on the back of the unit. How can this be fixed?

A: Hello there, thanks for writing in. A fault...

Hello there, thanks for writing in. A faulty sending unit can be problematic for your 1972 Pontiac Grand LeMans. When the fuel gauge is not functional, there are 3 suspected components: the sending unit, wiring for the gauge and sending unit, and the fuel gauge itself. To answer you question, there should be wires running to the fuel sending unit, otherwise it would be unable to get the signal to the fuel gauge. If the wires are intact and the sending unit was replaced, then there is a problem with either the wiring or the fuel gauge itself. If you’d like some help, consider having one of our certified automotive technicians assist you with a fuel gauge sender repair.