Q: I have a oil leak and now my car is shaking and cutting off.

I have a oil leak. Now my car is shaking, stalling and cutting off when I crank it up in the morning. What are the possible issues? and will this be expensive to repair?

Your oil leak may be unrelated to the vibrating or shaking, but suggests you may have a failing gasket somewhere. Gaskets can fail over time due to excessive heat and will eventually shrink causing them to fail and leak. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and repair your oil leak.

Shaking or vibrating may be caused by many different things such as faulty spark plugs, poor fuel pressure or misfires. Other things such as a faulty idle air control valve may cause the engine idle to drop below the normal idling RPM which may also cause the motor to shake or vibrate more than normal. This creates a loss of power that resonates throughout the motor additionally causing other problems with ignition and fuel timing. Anytime a misfire is caused, this causes an imbalance in the motor which will cause the motor to shake or vibrate. The other issue that may cause this type of shaking or vibration is a broken engine mount. Engine mounts are generally rubber mounted braces that hold the engine in place to the chassis of the car. When these break or become weak or faulty, this may cause the engine to vibrate heavily. Due to the many possible causes of this type of shaking or vibration, I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

3. I have a oil leak and now my car is shaking and cutting off.